Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Partnership for 21st Century Skills

After reviewing the website for The Partnership for 21st Century Skills ( http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/ ), I was really impressed with the goals and focus of the organization. I am really glad, as an educator trying to develop these skills that a group and a site like this exists. In my post for my class discussion I mentioned that it's important for students to not only gain knowledge, but also skills to be successful and after reading the organizations misson statement it is clear that they see the need for students to have a combination of both. I was impressed to see that they were working with a handful of states to help implement new plans to integrate new standards and programs. Although my state, Washington, was not listed I hope to see their outreach expand to more states like mine as they continue to gain recognition. I was actually surprised that my state was not on the list, because we have a lot of famous technology leaders like Microsoft, Amazon, and Nintendo that give us a reputation for being in touch with the 21st century. I found a lot of great content on their "Route 21" portion of their website. I particularly enjoyed the snapshots section that showcased videos of some of these skills in practice in classrooms. If I could say anything that I didn't like about the site, it would only be in the "Resources for 21st Century Skills" portion of Route 21. I found it a bit confusing and difficult to navigate, although after spending some time exploring I found a lot of great links. I think a website like is a great step in the right direction. For teachers it means that there is a group out there who recognizes that these skills should be included in every classroom. It is nice to know that a support system like this does exist and my hope is that they expand that impact into all states. For students, it means that we are moving in the right direction and that direction is into the 21st century as future thinkers and innovators.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jason,

    Do you know anything behind the politics of which states chose to participate and those who are not? I wonder what drove the change for others? How can new states...and countries...be inspired to make changes to their curriculum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,
    I am beginning to think that while most states are not official parts of this partnership, many are at least beginning to develop the ideals to implement at least part of the partnership's initiatives. I think if enough individual districts implement these ideals, and are able to show success, that other districts will follow. Eventually, states will see the value in what technology and 21st century skills can bring to the classroom and to student learning. Perhaps then we shall see more official state involvement in cooperative such as this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James and Julie,
    I looked a bit at what was going on in states that did adopt some of these skills into their schools. When I looked at New Jersey it seemed as though they were due for a reform and was approached to add these skills into their curriculum. So I think it's a case of, "the timing has to be right", to get states on board.

    Julie, I agree with you that if other states take notice to positive effects than more will get on board. I also think that some school systems work on a "don't fix it until it's broken" mentality. With budgets being tightened and schools just getting getting comfortable with No Child Left Behind policies, it might take a few years for states to take action when they don't see the need for change jumping out at them.

    James, that kind of addresses your question as well, I think it's a combination of need and timing. Obviously the facts are there that students need these skills to be successful, but it takes educational leaders to recognize that need and implement it into the curriculum. For now, as teachers we can adapt our current lessons to include these skills, but it would be easier if we had change and support from higher powers in education.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete