Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Using the GAME plan Process with Students

This week we've looking at digital storytelling and that is just one of the activities I am trying to include in my GAME plan to better meet the needs of my students. After looking at the ISTE NETS for students I can think about how they connect to my GAME plan and what I can do to better reach those technology goals.

The two main goals for my plan have been to add more online collaborative experiences and experiences that give students technology choices for how they want to complete assignments. With that in mind the first thing that jumped out from the technology standards was communication and collaboration. Much of the details of that standard matched closely with my own goal of incorporating more collaborative projects.

One technology standard that I saw that I want to work with in my GAME plan is research and information fluency. In elementary school conducting research on the internet can be challenging because of the various levels of experience with computers and the internet. However I want to work more on including these skills with my GAME plan goals so that all students can be prepared for middle school when they will be starting to do more online research. If any teachers have some ideas or projects for students who might just be starting out with research and online inquiry that would be greatly appreciated.

The last technology standard that I am hoping to incorporate more in my GAME plan and classroom is Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making. I especially think this is important at the 4th grade level because they are shifting from the stage of being given instruction and following it to really starting think on their own about what they want and how they can go about getting it. So with my collaborative and choices goals I am hoping that those assignments can have added levels of inquiry and open ended expectations. Any ideas for making this happen with my group of 4th graders would also be greatly appreciated.

Next week is our last week so I wanted to say thank you to all the other teachers who have given me a lot of grade ideas. Taking these courses online gives us the unique opportunity to connect in ways that a normal classroom doesn't provide. I hope that some of these connections continue for future courses and long careers as quality educators.

7 comments:

  1. Jason,

    Critical thinking and problem solving has been one of the most difficult lessons to teach at times for me in mathematics. It is nice that you are able to incorporate problem solving into you lesson plan by using open ended questions. Students like to communicate, however they need to know about communicating collaboratively. Most of my students are always, "Don't look at my stuff, this is my writing!" They are so trained that looking off of another person's paper is cheating and it's wrong. Students need to get out of the train of thought and learn how to share answers so they can come up with better ones. Also, they will soon find out that it's more engaging to collaborate with their peers then to do a whole project by theirselves.

    I, too, also noticed that the teacher and student ISTE NETS are very closely related. Perhaps, that is why they need to learn them becuase they would be using them in their profession in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    I really enjoyed your response and I definitely agree. I think that there is an idea in America that no one is going to help you so if you want something you have to do it on your own. As teachers we can combat this by showing kids that you can bring something to the table and help someone else succeed and have it come back to you. Collaboration is key and technology can have a big hand in creating projects that kids can contribute and see how much better things are when they work together. I am wondering if you see society as becoming more closed off or more open to help from others in the next 10 years?

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,

    Collaboration is a key element in teaching English as a Foreign Language. Group work is one of the most important elements used for promoting communication among language learners. Technology now opens new doors for collaboration from a communicative, cognitive and social-affective perspective.

    I look forward to working with you in future courses and I thank you for your wish for "long careers as quality educators". What a wonderful thought.

    Happy 2010!

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say except for testing I encourage my students to work together on everything. There is so much they can glean from each other that they could never learn from me. They do need to learn how to think and look for resources on their own. This is a valuable life lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason, what particular critical thinking projects have you done in the past with your 4th graders? I'm just curious in knowing what you're capable of accomplishing with your level students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason,

    You mentioned adding more collaborative experiences, which is great, as students today need to learn to work together and use technology to be successful in the 21st century. You also mentioned giving students technology choices for how they want to complete assignments. I’m assuming this means giving students choices in their assessments. Have you found a difference in performance and or motivation when students have a choice of assessments?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason,

    Although you didn't ask me the question in your response post, I am offering my opinion.

    I predict that we will be much more dependent on collaboration in the next 10 years. According to Prensky (2008), "Covering the material and preparing kids for the test is not preparing them for the future. To find out the skills students need, look, for example, at the work of the Partnership for 21st Century Skills, which highlights such areas as computer and technology skills, critical thinking and problem solving, teamwork, and collaboration, ethic and responsibility, and global awareness." (p.45) I think you are definitely on the right track by encouraging your students to collaborate using technology. In this way, you are preparing your students for future challenges and careers.

    We middle school teachers appreciate elementary technological prep work for us.

    Good post,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete